The mission of Casting for Recovery® (CfR) is to enhance the quality of life of women with breast cancer through a unique retreat program that combines breast cancer education and peer support with the therapeutic sport of fly fishing. The program offers opportunities for women to find inspiration, discover renewed energy for life and experience healing connections with other women and nature. CfR serves breast cancer survivors of all ages, in all stages of treatment and recovery, at no cost to participants.
Why fly fishing and breast cancer?
The concept of Casting for Recovery is unique. On a physical level, the gentle, rhythmic motion of fly casting is similar to exercises often prescribed after surgery or radiation to promote soft tissue stretching. On an emotional level, women are given the opportunity to experience a new activity in a safe environment amongst a supportive group of peers. The retreats provide resources to help address quality of life issues after a breast cancer diagnosis, and a new outlet – fly fishing – as a reprieve from the every day stresses and challenges of their cancer.
- Casting for Recovery provides free fly fishing retreats for women with breast cancer
- 70% of the women who attend Casting for Recovery retreats have never been to a support group
- CfR currently offers 55 retreats across the country, serving 770+ women each year
- CfR relies on the support of more than 1,600 volunteers nationwide, including medical and psychosocial professionals, fly fishing instructors and alumnae
- National sponsors include Cabela’s Outdoor Fund, Stevinson Automotive, Sage, Sisters on the Fly, Simms, Ashford Hospitality Trust and Orvis
Casting for Recovery was founded in 1996 in Manchester, Vermont, by a breast cancer reconstructive surgeon and a professional fly fisher. Casting for Recovery’s innovative program focuses on breast cancer survivorship and improving quality of life, and has garnered endorsements from medical and psychosocial experts.
- Awarded 501(c)(3) non-profit status in 1998, Casting for Recovery has inspired international efforts in Canada, UK/Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.
- To date, Casting for Recovery has conducted more than 550 retreats, serving more than 7,500 women nationwide.
- In 2016, we held 45 retreats in 42 states, serving 600+ women.